What is Air Transport?
Air transport is an aircraft design for transporting passengers and freight from one location to another in the air using airplanes, jets, rockets helicopters, and drones. Each of these type of air transport has a unique way of achieving speed and the sustainability of it voyage, However there are other types of air transport which may or may not be used for conveying goods, but could be used for recreational purposes, they include,hot air balloons, blimps,gliders,hang gliding,parachuting etc.
Types of air transport
- Commercial airplanes
- Private planes
- hang gliders
Air transport is the most recent mode of transport. It is the gift of the 20th century to the world. The two world wars gave a great impetus to the development of air transport in almost all the countries of the world. The peculiar characteristic of air transport is that is does not need a specific surface track for its operations. It has no physical barriers as in the case of other mode of transport. Political boundaries are also immaterial although it has to observe the requirements of the International Law. The supreme advantage of air transport lies in its quickness.
Advantages of Air Transport
- High Speed The supreme advantage of air transport is its high speed. It is the fastest mode of transport and thus it is the most suitable mean where time is an important factor.
- Comfortable and Quick Services It provides a regular, comfortable, efficient and quick service.
- No Investment in Construction of Track It does not require huge capital investment in the construction and maintenance of surface track.
- No Physical Barriers It follows the shortest and direct route as seas, mountains or forests do not come in the way of air transport.
- Easy Access Air transport can be used to carry goods and people to the areas which are not accessible by other means of transport.
- Emergency Services It can operate even when all other means of transport cannot be operated due to the floods or other natural calamities. Thus, at that time, it is the only mode of transport which can be employed to do the relief work and provide the essential commodities of life.
- Quick Clearance In air transport, custom formalities can be very quickly complied with and thus it avoids delay in obtaining clearance.
- Most Suitable for Carrying Light Goods of High Value It is most suitable for carrying goods of perishable nature which require quick delivery and light goods of high value such as diamonds, bullion etc. over long distances.
- National Defence Air transport plays a very important role in the defence of a country. Modern wars have been fought mainly by aeroplanes. It has upper hand in destroying the enemy in a very short period of time. It also supports over wings of defence of a country.
- Space Exploration Air transport has helped the world in the exploration of space.