With an objective of making quality generic medicines available at affordable prices to all, Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Government of India in November, 2008. Under the scheme, dedicated outlets known as Janaushadhi Kendras are opened to provide generic medicines at affordable prices. As on 31.10.2022, 8819 Janaushadhi Kendras are functional across the country. Product basket of PMBJP comprises 1759 drugs and 280 surgical items. The Scheme is implemented by a society registered under the Societies Registration Act, viz., Pharma & Medical Bureau of India (PMBI) [erstwhile Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India(BPPI)].
1. Ensure access to quality medicines for all sections of the population especially the poor and the deprived ones.
2. Create awareness about generic medicines through education and publicity to counter the perception that quality is synonymous with high price only.3. Generate employment by engaging individual entrepreneurs in opening of PMBJP Kendra.
4. Prices of the Jan Aushadhi medicines are 50%-90% less than that of branded medicines prices in the open market.
5. Medicines are procured only from World Health Organization – Good Manufacturing Practices (WHO-GMP) certified suppliers for ensuring the quality of the products.
6. The Scheme has made available quality medicines at an affordable price to the common masses.